What are all those extra ingredients in SAMe?
The pure SAMe molecule is unstable, making it unsuitable for use in a capsule form. The excipients added to the tablet help to preserve the potency of the SAMe, as well as to help the tablet expand and breakdown when it is ingested.
- Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose phthalate: the enteric film coating material and matrix binder for the tablets. It is also a viscosity control agent, gelling agent, film former, stabilizer, dispersant, lubricant, binder, emulsifying agents, and suspending agent.
- Sodium starch glycolate: sodium salt of carboxymethyl ether of starch. Absorbs water rapidly, resulting in swelling which leads to rapid disintegration of the tablets.
- Glyceryl triacetate: also called triacetin, it is an antifungal agent used as a preservative.
- Croscarmellose sodium: adds swelling capacity.
- Titanium dioxide: white pigment.
Yellow ochre: pigment consisting of a limonite mixed with clay and silica.